"There is difference and there is power. And who holds the power decides the meaning of the difference." --June Jordan

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Linkfest!

I was at a week-long training session for a volunteer gig all last week (more on that later) and dropped the ball on the link love. Time to remedy that, though.


Muslimah Media Watch: There Will Be Blood: Neda Agha Soltan's Post-Mortem Image in the Media

Racialicious: Timing is Everything: Nicholas Sarkozy Defends Women's Rights By Restricting Them (A lot of folks have been writing about this issue lately, but Wendy comes the closest to explaining how I feel about it in this post.)

flip flipping joy: fluency and coalition

My Ecdysis: It's A Boy, It's a Girl

Trans Group Blog: Trans men may be butch but they're not (usually) butches

The Rotund: I Could Go Out Tonight: The Morrissey Dilemma

Feministing: Advice for a Baby Feminist

Bitch Blogs: Pride Worldwide



And in TV News:

Sociological Images: Canada's Next Top Model "Breaking the Mold" or Same Old Same Old?

The F-Word.com: Jessica Simpson to host "The Price of Beauty"

Women & Hollywood: Finally - A Woman of Color Joins the Summer Lineup

A Blog of Our Own: Some feminist thought from Roseanne

3 comments:

plumpdumpling said...

That Rotund post was so, so exactly how I feel. Any time I gain any sense of feeling great about myself, I see some girl in the subway wearing a dress I could never hope to look good in.

Tracey said...

But.. but! Did you get the point of her post that it's the fault of the fashion industry that there aren't cute clothes for us and not our fault for not being able to fit into those fashions?

plumpdumpling said...

There are plenty of cute, flowy clothes for me. The problem is that I want to wear fitted clothes with tiny belts, which would look horrible on me. It IS my fault that I don't look good in those.

I'm not sure that the fashion industry cares about what I look good in, though. I think they care that "normal" people sometimes like fitted and sometimes like flowy clothes, so they make both of them, and it just so happens that I look good in one.