"There is difference and there is power. And who holds the power decides the meaning of the difference." --June Jordan

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Religulous

Being both an atheist and a big fan of comedy-writer Larry Charles (of Seinfeld fame), you would think I'd be super pumped for Charles' upcoming documentary Religulous, which is supposed to be a satirical look at religious dogma around the world and throughout history.

But I'm not. At all.

And it's because the last thing I want to do is waste a couple of hours of my life watching a movie in which fucking douchebag Bill Maher acts like he's superior to everyone else.

Photobucket


I pretty much already knew that's what this film would be, but this clip posted at SlashFilm just confirms my suspicions. Just the title of the clip made me cringe: "Bill Maher in a Burka Store". I'm not sure if it could get any worse.

Isn't it gentlemanly of Maher to take a break from oppressing women in the U.S. long enough to try (poorly) to make a point about how women are oppressed in other parts of the world? Asshole.

Update: It wasn't until I saw Melissa's post that I realized I was spelling the film title "Religious" instead of "Religulous". The difference was so subtle in print that I didn't notice it, but I enjoy Melissa's take on how the name sounds: "less like a cross between religion and ridiculous than Caligula and ridiculous".