"There is difference and there is power. And who holds the power decides the meaning of the difference." --June Jordan

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Feminism Friday: Because Date Rape is a Laugh Riot

Keeping with the trend of completely awful videos, I just found out via a Live Journal feminist forum about this one, which was apparently recently featured on the MySpace homepage. It doesn't seem so bad at first, but if you are able to tolerate it all the way to the end, it's pretty appalling. But not as appalling as the hundreds of comments that basically say, "OMG hilarious!" Gross.

3 comments:

Cara said...

Wow. That is infinitely fucked up.

I left a comment saying "OMG rape is so funny LOL!!!" Think they'll get it?

twip said...

I think I barfed in my mouth.

I just posted on how rape is also a men's issue, and then I see this.

We have a long way to go. :(

Anonymous said...

We do have a long way to go. I think this video points to a number of societal problems, and they're not just date rape. For a start, love clearly isn't free enough among people who aren't completely empty headed that you really do have to fein interest in bullshit to get laid. That said you probably shouldn't rape anyone that didn't want you to ;-)